An air conditioner is one of the appliances that was invented solely for human benefit. Through this appliance, we make our lives much easier. It prevents immense heat and provides comfort by cooling the air. It provides us with the required cooling as per necessity. You just want to turn on the air conditioner after you come back.
But, do you know the parts of the air conditioner and where they are located? There are six basic parts of an air conditioner. You must be aware of the six parts: thermostat, air blowing unit, air filter, evaporator, condenser coil and compressor.
Over here, we will particularly discuss the air conditioner filters. Mostly we will focus on its location, how to clean it and in case you want to replace it, then from where you should initiate.
How many Filters are there in Your Air Conditioner?
The very first aspect that you must know is how many filters are present in your air conditioner. For central AC units, you will find two or more filters. There are mainly three types of air filters.
- First is the fibreglass filter; these types of the filter consist of layers of fibreglass fibre laid over each other. They are disposable, which means you can replace the filter once a month.
- Second is the pleated air filter. Though it has similar construction, it provides superior dust prevention ability.
- The third is the HEPA., i.e., high-efficiency particulate air. These filters are the standard among air filters used.
A standard HEPA filter can remove 99.97% of airborne particles. The filters clean the air and make sure good quality air is circulated between inside and outside air. Mainly the central air conditioner filter is made of fibreglass or pleated material.
Where are the Filters Located?
Now, we come across the position of the filter. You can find a vertical air conditioner system, it is typically found in the basement. You can find the filter at the bottom of an up-flow, vertical system and even at the top of a down-flow. Moreover, the horizontal air conditioner system is found in attics, basements or in garages.
The filter will be mainly positioned vertically on the side of the unit. The air filter is generally placed near the thermostat in your house. Or, it will be placed right next to the air conditioner system’s air handler. The return duct filter has a great location on the ceiling, wall or floor and contains slatted openings for air to flow through it.
The filter should slide right out. Also, make sure the arrows on the filter are pointed in the direction of airflow. Now, nearby, you will find the return air grill. You also need to keep in mind that there can be multiple filters present in multiple returns.
You will be able to access the filter by removing the grate. In many homes, you will find more than one filter. You must check the blower compartment and behind the return grilles in your home.
Things that You Need to Keep in Mind When Replacing Your Air Filter
Before you want to replace your, there are a few points that you need to keep in mind. Here we will discuss a few basic tips that will help you to deal with the replacement process. The points are instructed down below:
- You must have a large garbage bag on hand so that you can collect the dirty filter. After removing, place the dirty filter as soon as you remove it. After all, you want all the dust, debris and dust to re-enter the home.
- Keep in mind to have many replacement filters on hand. Do not neglect the importance of home maintenance, only this can help you out.
- Before you go for a replacement filter, you first need to speak with your local AC technician about which one is best for you. You can go for purchasing a filter with a higher MERV number. But, it will be beneficial if you ensure that the filter is compatible.
- While replacing the air filter, you must go vacuuming and wipe around the filter area so that the AC is clean. You also need to maintain that there is a minimum 2-foot clearance around the indoor air handler.
- In case you have a washable filter, then it would be better to clean it once a month and follow all the instructions as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Do follow all the instructions given below.
How can You Replace the Air Filter?
To replace the air filter, you need to know its location. In many homes, you will find an air filter near the thermostat. After locating the thermostat, go towards it and look for a vent. We have come up with some steps that can help you out.
- First, you have to lose the fasteners that are holding the front of the grille to the vent. After that, gently remove the cover from it and keep it aside. The filter must be behind the cover.
- Reach there and pull it out. After that, set the filter aside and asses its condition. For your information, a dirty filter generally looks like a greyish-brown colour. If it is whitish, then it is not completely a waste.
- After that, grab the new air filter and identify the arrow pattern of the filter. For proper airflow, the direction of the arrows is important. Make sure the arrows are not pointed in or out, or else it will restrict the airflow. After finding the arrow, face them to the wall..
- Now, place the air filter back in the return duct opening. Finally, give the filter a gentle push to ensure it fits properly. Tighten the fasteners. Now, the job is complete. This will help your home to feel comfortable as the airflow can freely pass through the system.
How to Clean the Air Conditioner Filter?
If you don’t maintain the air conditioner filter, then it becomes less effective. The dirty air conditioner filter will need more energy to run, thus increasing the electricity bill. Some steps are given to help you out:
- First, you need to turn off the air conditioner. Now, use a screwdriver and open the unit, followed by removing the filter. You might observe multiple vents, so it is very important to inspect the inside unit. You can also check the manual to find the filter.
- In the manual, there must be mentioned that some filters are meant for cleaning while some filters should be replaced each time.
- In case you observe any dust, clean it first. But, if the filter becomes worn out or damaged over time, it must be replaced.
- For deep cleaning, first, you need to fill a sink with one part water and the other part white vinegar. Then, allow the AC filter to soak in the solution for at least one hour.
- Now, rinse it with fresh water and fully dry it before returning it.
So, this was all about where you can find an air conditioner filter. If you are unaware of the location of the air filter, then this can definitely help you out. We also have mentioned how you can replace and clean the air filter. The process are well instructed so that you won’t have to face any trouble dealing with an air conditioner air filter.