Air conditioners are integral to every household or commercial premises in Dubai. However, the daily pressure of workload might exceed the permitted or specified load of the aircon unit. Thus, electrical or mechanical repair issues might be necessary. Don’t fret because these are quite common.
Your air conditioner might show signs of breaking down. However, you should be aware of such usual air conditioner repair issues without panicking. Minor issues can be fixed, and you can recover your appliance.
Here you will learn the most common air conditioner repair issues and suitable solutions.
- The Air Conditioner Runs but doesn’t Cool
Needless to say, it will be annoying if your air conditioner doesn’t blow out sufficient cool air to make the area comfortable. You might have double-checked the associated thermostat, but the temperature is within the range. What are the possible reasons behind your air conditioner not cooling evenly or properly?
Apart from a faulty thermostat installation, there are additional triggers that can invoke improper cooling by an air conditioner. Here are probable causes for an insufficient circulation of cool air:
- If you have chosen the wrong AC mode, you can experience insufficient cooling. Check the remote controller to see what the current AC mode is.
- Accumulated dirt and debris can clog air filters. Over months, air filters can become dirty, and thus, you can encounter inefficient cooling.
- A refrigerant leak can lead to inappropriate cooling. You can detect a refrigerant leak through a hissing noise or frozen refrigerant line. Your AC’s refrigerant is responsible for absorbing the heat from indoor air. Therefore, the lack of refrigerant can result in uneven cooling.
- Clogged air filters and dirty outdoor units can invoke insufficient cooling or air circulation. The outdoor unit might fail to deliver the cool air when it’s clogged with twigs, debris, etc.
- In addition, a broken or malfunctioning fan motor inside the air conditioner can force the AC to give out warm air.
You can solve the poor airflow of the air conditioner through a few tweaks. Here’s what you can do according to the above-mentioned reasons:
- Switch to the right AC mode to bring on the right cooling. Set the thermostat fan to ‘On’ instead of its ‘Auto’ configuration. In addition, you have to set the right temperature for efficient and even cooling.
- If you find air filters clogged, cleaning them is the right way to eliminate the cooling discrepancies. Use warm water to clean them. Consider replacing the air filters if they are too old.
- Call in professionals to refill the refrigerant of the air conditioner. It would be tricky for you to handle refrigerant refilling or treat the leak. Hence, opt for an expert intervention in this case.
- You can clean the outdoor unit with a damp cloth. Ensure you have turned off the air conditioner and unplug the power cable before cleaning the outdoor unit. Consider trimming bushes and trees near the outdoor unit.
- If you lack a clue why your AC isn’t blowing enough cold air, it can be a faulty fan motor. However, reviving the fan motor might be out of your expertise. Hire an AC technician to maintain the airflow.
- Your Air Conditioner Makes Noises
When you turn on or off the appliance, your air conditioner’s clicking is quite usual. Yet, many reasons might trigger the noise coming from your air conditioner. A hissing or loud fan sound might not seem overwhelming.
Here are a few possible causes that might force the air conditioner to make unusual noises:
- A blower or motor issues are evident with rattling, thumping, or banging noises. They are loud and hard to ignore.
- A screeching noise is more likely to be noticed when your air conditioner encounters a compressor issue.
- You already know that a refrigerant leak will produce a hissing or bubbling sound.
- If it’s a buzzing sound, your air conditioner might have encountered an electrical failure.
Whatever the reason is, air conditioners mostly make noises due to an issue worth concerning. You can clean the outdoor unit if you suspect that unusual noise arises from that area.
Otherwise, you should immediately shut down the appliance and hire trusted and professional AC repair experts. Unusual noises from the air conditioning unit can threaten your and your loved ones’ safety.
- Water is Leaking from AC’s Indoor Unit
Homeowners have been complaining about leaking water from their split air conditioners. Mostly, this happens because the condensate drainage pipe is blocked or clogged with dust, dirt, fungi, or algae. We can’t deny the chances of a corrosive or damaged drain pan or condensate pump.
Repairing rusted drain pipes or broken drain pans is difficult for any homeowner or a business owner. However, you can clean out the drain pipe on your own.
Here’s how you can achieve a clean and unclogged drain pipe:
- Turn off the aircon unit and unplug its power cable from the electrical outlet.
- Next, take the help from your AC’s user guide to open up the front panel of the indoor unit.
- Detach the air filters carefully, and get a compatible screwdriver to unscrew the front panel.
- Bring out the large and major front cover from the air conditioner. After that, open up the plastic covers at the AC’s bottom section.
- Locate the drain pipe and look out for any tape connecting the main unit to the drain pipe. Remove the tape to disconnect the drain pipe from the main AC unit.
- Get a bucket and slowly drain the water from the pipe into the bucket. Additionally, you should use a vacuum cleaner to suck out build-up and debris from the drain pipe.
- Reconnect the drain pipe to the main unit of the AC. Reinstall the main front panel back to its earlier position.
- Ensure the air filters are clean before you place them in their positions. If they are not, clean them with warm water and an approved cleanser.
Finally, you can place the front panel and turn on the appliance. The reason might be more complicated if this doesn’t fix the leaking issue. Book an AC repair service to mitigate water leaking from the indoor AC unit.
What are other Common Yet Alarming Repair Issues Associated with Air Conditioners?
Air conditioners possess both electrical and plumbing properties. Hence, AC repair issues might be problematic and require instant action. You can face a sky-high electricity bill, smelly air, ice build-up on evaporator coils, and abrupt shutdowns of air conditioners.
All these are quite common when your air conditioner has aged and lacks a maintenance routine. Therefore, go for regular air conditioner maintenance and repair to mitigate such common issues.